Thursday, March 31, 2011

FINALLY went grocery shopping

for the first time since we got back from our trip. Love having fresh fruit and veggies in the house. Also bought Ezekiel Golden Flax cereal which is deliciously earthy and grainy. I'm eating it by itself because I'm strange like that, but I bet it would be even more delicious with yogurt and fresh berries. I love that sprouted whole wheat grain is it's first ingredient. Apparently sprouted whole wheat is caught just before it blooms into the full wheat stalk and has less gluten than fully bloomed wheat.
Another of my all time faves is Annie Chun's Miso Soup. So quick, easy, and incredibly healthy. And Wal-mart has it for Wal-mart prices. Our local grocery store, HEB, doesn't actually carry it, which is strange. I also bought their Udon flavor, as those are the only two flavors they carry.
Amongst my favorite options of food to have in the house is tons of fresh fruit and veggies. Today was red, yellow, and orange bell pepper, cucumbers, avocado, broccoli, baby organic carrots in a cute snack pack, cauliflower, honeycrisp apples, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, and purple and green grapes. As soon as the boys got home I made sure they stuffed themselves full of baby carrots, cucumbers, avocado, and bell pepper to make up for all the junk they've been eating and lack of fresh fruits and veggies.

For after-school snacks, it's a different story. Though we do the veggie option when I have it available, I like to make sure I have somewhat wholesome (okay, not at all, but they have main ingredients that let me pretend they are, any way) snacks that will stay around for as long as I have them. The boys take a snack to school that they eat mid-morning and have a snack as soon as they get home in the afternoon. And, believe me, they need it. I've tried going without snacks and can we just say meltdown city. I try to expand my horizons on these, because I am SO nit pickily healthy I can tend to keep the options super limited. My attempt at branching out included Ritz Garden Vegetable crackers with cheese - the multi grain makes me feel better and I like that the first ingredient is whole grain wheat flour and not some bleached or enriched version of flour,
Scrabble Cheeze-Its - I remember eating Cheez-Its as a kid and though enriched flour is the first ingredient the fact that they have real white cheddar cheese listed as an ingredient kinda makes up for it,

Fig Newtons - this was a childhood staple for me and I continue to love them possibly because figs are the third ingredient,
and Nutter Butters - the real peanut butter bit makes it a passable snack for my kiddos.

Wal-mart has these all in convenient packages ready to grab and go for school. I used to be a snack nazi and never allow my kids to have snacks, which turns out doesn't work really well when you have growing boys. Now I try to limit it but not be too strict that they don't get the energy their body needs when their hungry, which is essentially at all times of the day, thus the scheduled two snacks a day : ) .

This time I also bought Capri Suns 100% juice. Although I used to drink their sugar laden juices when I was a kid, I have been a Capri Sun nazi for my kids without waver, except at birthday parties or sports events. Now, I'm caving and getting their 100% juice, due to my recently enlightened knowledge of the importance of fluids in our diet.
Ugh, I just realized I fell victim to seeing "nutritious" on the label and thinking that meant it was so and mistakenly bought Capri Sun's Sunrise Juice as well, where sugar is the second ingredient. Lesson learned.
In the area of yogurt I can also tend to turn my nose up at the kid friendly packaging with all the sugars surrounding them. I have caved on Danimals Yogurts, though, as the ingredients seem the same as Yoplait's, and the sugar content no more, if not less.

I did get a few full-on health guru snacks like pistachios and dried un-sulphured apples as well.

To round it out, I got deli fresh Boar's Head Lemon Pepper Chicken and Oven Roasted turkey, along with my Le Tortilla Factory Wheat Tortillas
and Red Pepper Hummus for me along with the first two items I mentioned. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment